Insect Production Worker
Hello and thanks for your interest in a career with USDA APHIS PPQ.
Please note this is an Outreach Notice to make you aware of a vacancy open with USDA APHIS PPQ in Texas! Please apply through USA Jobs (link provided within announcement).
The vacancy announcement is open through until midnight on 9/24
Insect Production Workers perform routine assignments involved in insect mass production, packaging, storing, and sterilization, and delivering of insects. They are also involved in the cleaning, disinfection and maintenance of work areas.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares and weighs out different rearing media and diet ingredients using different scales in preparing to make artificial diet.
- Prepares disinfectant, for cleaning and sanitation of equipment to ensure healthy production levels through the productive lifespan of the colony.
- Operates and/or synchronizes multiple pieces of equipment for the establishment of the colony.
- Provides feed to insects, controls temperature and humidity, and harvests pupae or adults, records collection data, and verifies that the data is correct and properly backed up.
- Separates insects into categories such as sex and/or specie and controls them to prevent escape or intermingling.
- Observes insect collections for obvious changes of live cycles, deaths, and general activity.
- Performs irradiation and irradiation monitoring of insects prior to shipping and puts the information into storage and a database.
- Maintains approved disinfectants to clean and sanitize the floors, walls and equipment; operates high pressure steam washers, and uses autoclave to sterilize materials, water, and objects.