For more than 100 years, women, men, and young people have relied on Planned Parenthood for accessible and affordable quality healthcare, accurate information and comprehensive health education. Planned Parenthood South Atlantic (PPSAT) is a nonprofit health care provider offering a wide range of affordable and reliable reproductive and sexual health care services in our 14 locations across North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
PPSAT is hiring a Certified Medical Assistant or Health Care Assistant with excellent customer service and communication skills to work in our Chapel Hill,NC health center. CMAs/HCA’s support the flow of clinic by providing excellent customer service to our patients from front desk check-in and check-out to preparing patients for their visit with our medical providers.
We are interested in non-certified and certified candidates that can provide great patient experience!
This is a full-time opportunity, working 40 hours/week.
Mon: 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Tues: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wed: 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Thurs: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Fri: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sat: 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Full time employees (working 30 or more hours/week) are eligible for full benefits!
- Assist medical and nursing staff in a variety of tasks including taking medical histories, recording vital signs and performing intake.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients and prepare patients for examinations and procedures.
- Assist Clinician during examinations and procedures. Perform other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the Clinician.
- Update electronic medical records and complete required forms in our EHR system. Perform all other administrative duties as directed.
- Dispose of contaminated supplies. Sterilize medical instruments.
- Promote patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care, and document in patient record.
- Prepare patients for ultrasounds, exams, tests and procedures. Perform ultrasounds, patient education, and lab services as requested.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician/clinician when allowed by state regulations. Authorize drug refills as directed and telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy.
- Answer telephones and greet patients. Schedule appointments as needed and arrange hospital admissions and laboratory services.
Additional Responsibilities if working in Primary Care setting
- Take electrocardiograms (EKGs). Remove sutures/staples. Change sterile and non-sterile dressings. Perform other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the Clinician.
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens and perform basic laboratory tests on premises.
- Draw blood.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Customer service experience, preferably in the medical field.
- Must be able to prioritize, multitask, and demonstrate use of effective communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Must be able to read, comprehend, input, retrieve and analyze data daily.
- Experience in primary care/family medicine (Preferred)
- Experience in women’s health/reproductive health (Preferred)
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (Preferred)
Certified Medical Assistant Requirements
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant Program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Certification from American Medical Technologists.
- Starting salary for non-certified HCA - $15.00/hour
- CMA starting hourly rates commensurate with experience, minimum of $15.75/hour
Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer.
A complete application includes a cover letter and resume.
No phone calls please.